Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The First Week

The best time to do new things is right away, in the middle of monotony, a little later, and also after you thought you'd never do anything new again...In other words, the best time to do new things is all the time. 


view of downtown from Springwater Corridor
My first week in Portland has been quite the trip!  I biked downtown and back, marveling at the existence of a 12 mile bike path without a single spot that wasn't scenic or tree-lined and learning to navigate the many bike lanes and routes that have made Portland famous.  On Sunday, I was picked up by the pastor's wife and was wowed by an awesome time of worship at Imago Dei church, then joined one of their nearby home community groups for dinner and discussion (home communities are like small groups for people who live in the same areas of town).  My uncle also graciously took me to the Midland library to browse and I returned with some pretty spiffy reading material, including a book that seems to be designed specifically with me in mind: "Now What? A young person's guide to choosing the perfect career."  Job searching? Turns out it's pretty tough and a little demoralizing, especially when you're not exactly sure what you're looking for.  However, I am positive that I will end up in the right place doing exactly what God has in mind at exactly the time I am supposed to be there.... I'll admit I wouldn't mind some crystal clear clues. 

Living with my aunt and uncle is going to be incredibly fun and exciting.  They are possessed of that personality that attracts engaging and passionate people, and seem to have found that balance between work and play that most people are constantly searching for.  The neighbors are a fantastic family of five whose children are polite, playful, spunky, and inquisitive, besides being generally loveable and fun.  The four-year-old, Clara, is currently in training with my aunt to be "ninja girl," while her brother Jackson has defied all sulky-teenager stereotypes and was good-naturedly clobbered and sprayed with water bottles by two grown women and his kid sister. 

In general, I am looking forward to this year of unknown wonders and new experiences, and have so far not been disappointed.  This place fits me like a mitten :)
My room

No comments:

Post a Comment